I need help with ASO's.

In my Application Servlet..

        public class PCTAdminApplicationServlet extends ApplicationServlet ..

I have a static variable "asm". I have my init() method with the following :

public void init() throws ServletException
  {
    super.init();
    Registry myRegistry = RegistryBuilder.constructDefaultRegistry();
    PCTAdminApplicationServlet.asm =
(ApplicationStateManager)myRegistry.getService(ApplicationStateManager.class);

Is this the proper way to do things? I'm getting a NullPointerException when
trying something like

AdminVisit aVisit = (AdminVisit)
PCTAdminApplicationServlet.asm.get("adminVisit");

Thanks,
Greg