It's hard to tell what's going wrong without seeing exactly how all of
the interactions are happening but can quite confidently say that this
would be much easier to do in tapestry 4.1.1 . Ie:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/javascript/form.html
tapestry.form.submitAsync();

I'd probably even go so far as to use a Timer object to do the
repeated calls for me:
http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/browser/trunk/src/lang/timing/Timer.js

var timer=new dojo.lang.Timer(1000);
timer.onTick=update();
timer.start();

Besides that, we'd probably really have to see what "update()" is
doing to say for sure what the problem is.