Kevin Menard wrote:
On 8/15/07 10:50 AM, in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Andrus
Adamchik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thinking about it some more ....

This is not the end of the world for our application. We can either skip the
upgrade or indeed force an interface on the objects involved, or avoid
multi-step property traversal by moving it to Java class.

But at a higher level it seems like the expression compilation algorithm is
sacrificing correctness for performance. An implicit requirement on the @For
to have homogeneous objects in the loop is confusing and non-obvious. A
failover strategy hidden from the users would be great. How hard it would be
to say decorate an expression compiled within a For loop in a try/catch that
would switch to a generic algorithm on the first ClassCastException?

This is an interesting idea that I think would work well.  We ran into
"problems" ourselves.  OGNL would dump out a ton of output to the console,
but then fallback to an expression that would work.

I think it would be good to allow users to turn off expression compilation, i.e. revert to the old way that OGNL worked. Is this possible? It would allow us to continue with 4.1, without having all our expressions break on us. For me it was only 2 parts of the app that needed fixing, but I can imagine loads of people relying on the reflective nature of OGNL when constructing their pages...

Damien

--

Damien Uern
Online Applications Developer