Could it be as silly as a space after the xsd?

I have run the following successfully

-----
<file:///C:/cygwin/workspace/svn/thedailytube/src/main/resources/com/thedailytube/ui/tapestry/pages/SomePage.html>/src/main/resources/com/thedailytube/ui/tapestry/pages/SomePage.html
-------

<t:layout xmlns:t="http://tapestry.apache.org/schema/tapestry_5_0_0.xsd";>
    <t:parameter name="sidebarContent">
        <b>SomePage Added Sidebar</b>
    </t:parameter>
    This is the body content
</t:layout>

-----
/src/main/resources/com/thedailytube/ui/tapestry/components/Layout.html
-------

<head/>
    <t:body/>
Top of Sidebar
    <t:delegate to="sidebarContent"/>
Bottom of Sidebar

------ Layout.java -------

package com.thedailytube.ui.tapestry.components;

import org.apache.tapestry.Block;
import org.apache.tapestry.annotations.Parameter;

public class Layout {
    @Parameter
    private Block _sidebarContent;

    public Block getSidebarContent() {
        return _sidebarContent;
    }

    public void setSidebarContent(Block sidebarContent) {
        this._sidebarContent = sidebarContent;

------- SomePage.java --------

package com.thedailytube.ui.tapestry.pages;

public class SomePage {

}

-------- http://localhost:8080/somepage ---------

<head><link href="/assets/tapestry/default.css" rel="stylesheet"
type="text/css"></head>

        This is the body content

Top of Sidebar

                <b>SomePage Added Sidebar</b>