I'm not sure that this would be considerably different from how things are
generally done anyway.  A class added in JDK5 is expected to work in 6+.
Granted there's not a different package for each Java release, but I doubt
it would cause as much confusion as you think.

Actually, now that I think about it more, I wish Sun would use version
numbers in its naming convention.  Perhaps it's my COM background showing
through, but it's exceedingly annoying how they just change interfaces.  It
is impossible to compile some SQL code on Java5 & Java6 due to interface
changes in the same named interface.

--
Kevin