I have a great deal of experience with prototype, and not so much with jQuery. From my brush with it, it seems to me that it is less than ideal for building front end widgets, as it's primary focus is more on easily navigating the DOM and affecting elements in various, insulated ways. It doesn't provide the type of framework for general OO modeling, which makes it less ideal for things like ui components. On the other hand, I always thought that dojo was a major overkill. Prototype balances the functional nature of JS with a nice platform for doing things like dojo does - and for me it just fits.

If I'm mistaken about the abilities of jQuery, that is just my inexperience with it. The question I would propose is, what's the point? T5 works just fine how with the current tapestry.js, why exert what seems to be a fruitless effort simply for the sake of changing JS badges?

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
There's been a lot of discussion on blogs lately about the merits of
Prototype vs. jQuery.

http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2009/01/comparing-prototype-and-jquery.html

I've added an issue to JIRA to discuss this.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-486

Basically, a rewrite of tapestry.js from Prototype to jQuery should
insulate most users from the changes. Advanced users who have written
their own javascript components may need to add an annotation or a
configuration value for compatiblity after upgrading.

I may start experimenting with this in a branch.

I've noticed that many of the more interesting public sites using
Tapestry are already using jQuery as well ... thus this shift
represents addresing the core concern of performance (having to
download and use just one JavaScript library, not two).

--
http://thegodcode.net