On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Chris Lewis <chris_le...@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> that it is less than ideal for building front end widgets

That's not true. As a matter of fact, jQuery is currently one of the most
popular Javascript libraries for developing frontend widgets and I see very
cool widgets popping up all over the place which I would love to turn into
Tapestry libraries.
You'll ususally combine Prototype with Scriptaculous. You can use JQuery
with JQuery UI (http://ui.jquery.com). If you Google for jQuery widgets
you'll see endless lists of available widgets. See interface for example (
http://interface.eyecon.ro).

> If I'm mistaken about the abilities of jQuery, that is just my inexperience
> with it. The question I would propose is, what's the point?

Well... I'm a Java developer with lots of jQuery experience. To me it felt
like the entire world was shifting towards jQuery. Google uses jQuery for
example (http://blog.jquery.com/2007/11/02/google-using-jquery/) and
Microsoft even officially wants to support it and ship it with Visual Studio
(
http://www.microsoft.com/web/content.aspx?id=microsoft-adopts-open-source-jQuery-JavaScript-library
).

So while I knew jQuery and around me everyone started using jQuery, I had to
go back, and learn Prototype since I'm usually the guy that does the
front-end web components and adding two web-frameworks seems like overkill.

This was actually a real concern for me when switching to Tapestry 5.
Prototype is a nice library, but in my opinion it's not nearly as nice as
jQuery and it performs noticably slower as well.

The problem is that switching to another framework now is that it would
probably would break 3rd party components and custom Javascript components
already created in Tapestry projects.

regards,

Onno