I agree, I think this will be a constructive thread.

So things that are not beautiful yet are a lack of tooling, aside from the
helpful Loom plugin.  I only use eclipse here, so I'm not sure if there are
plugins for other IDEs.

Sometimes I wish there were more industry type examples out there, since I
often find myself writing something that is overly verbose.  I find myself
looking at code on http://www.google.com/codesearch .  Maybe a reproduction
of the T4 Showcase app would make a good archetype.

Maven usage used to be a problem for some, but I think most of us have
gotten used to it or have worked around it.