So, we've clearly hit on documentation being an issue. ;)

Two other things that I think are problematic for newcomers to tapestry:

  * static structure, dynamic behavior.
I agree with HLS's choice on this, but it does create a barrier for a lot of people; the programming model in, eg, Wicket is just easier to wrap your head around: how do I dynamically get some different component on the page? Instantiate it.... Again, I'm not advocating changing static structure, dynamic behavior, but I wonder if there's a way that we can "hurdle" the barrier here... I have no ideas on this as yet. * Related to above, having pages that exist for no other reason than to be "holders" for components that will be dynamically injected seems a bit... ugly. Maybe we could have a dedicated "dynamic component holder"? At the very least, having a simple annotation such as: @DynamicComponentHolder on the page classes, and having tapestry recognize that the page isn't actually a page meant to be rendered directly, and take steps accordingly (shut down requests for those pages, etc.) might be nice.

  * Ajax.
Zones rock, but otherwise, ajax in tapestry is still... lacking, IMHO. I think tapestry could go a /long/ way toward making things easier here. For instance, the form injector component: it's useful, but I find it painful to use, and, it's really only interesting if you're planning on dynamically adding additional form elements (or removing them). But things like dynamic updates of bits and pieces of forms are painful... tapestry really go out of its way to ensure that the same state available in rendering the request, or in a full post, is available during an ajax request (I'm thinking particularly of the fact that the Form isn't in the environment (unless you use form injector).

Robert