On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM, ice<fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Standing from the point of view that i prefer jQuery to prototype, i would
> like to see (Tapestry 5.2? ) a move into breaking down what the core web
> functionalities, from those that depend on Javascript, particularly any
> extensions, such as Prototype. But plain switching to jQuery is even worse.

I agree with you. Most T5 users have projects that rely on Prototype
now, so plain switching to jQuery would break backward compatibility.
And this is a very serious issue for Tapestry, being the source of
many complaints in the past.

> A web framework shouldn't be tied to specific javascript/effects library
> such as Prototype+Script.aculo.us
> By extracting out all the components that rely heavily on dynamic javascript
> behaviour into its own module, you divide and conquer. With a small layer of
> abstraction on the core functionalities when needed, and on top of it, allow
> people to use the javascript framework of their choice, and encourage more
> people to actually add support.

I agree 100%. The probleme here is the amount of work that needs to be
done. Even Howard, Tapestry creator and main committer, has though of
that, but there are other priorities. There is an issue,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-486, to discuss this.

--
Thiago