On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:21:57 +0200, Onno Scheffers <o...@piraya.nl> wrote:

>> The problem is: how would Tapestry do that? Not using any framework?
>> This would mean the committers would need to spend an awful lot of
>> time rewriting something that Javascript frameworks already do. Not
>> only this, but also to cope with the insonsistencies between browsers.
>> Defining an API that could be implemented in Prototype, jQuery or
>> another framework? More viable, but still a lot of work.
>

> So far, the most complex parts I've seen that need replacing are the
> onDOMLoaded stuff, the selectors and the AJAX stuff. Everything besides the
> selectors have been done long before the web-frameworks first implemented
> them.
> The selectors (and DOM-traversal) would be the most work to rewrite in plain
> Javascript, unless Tapestry only uses element ids for lookups, I haven't
> checked this yet.

Maybe it doesn't have to be plain js since there's a lot to be gained from
these libraries. Perhaps all Tapestry's .js files could be moved to a
tapestry-prototype module, each of those files could then be reimplemented in a
tapestry-jquery module.
A problem remains with script snippets written directly from
renderSupport.addScript()
It sounds pretty cumbersome to maintain multiple modules though.