> I agree with you. Most T5 users have projects that rely on Prototype
> now, so plain switching to jQuery would break backward compatibility.

I agree as well. But I don't think there's a need to play the
backward-compatibility card here since removing the dependencies doesn't
need to break backward compatibility.
If Tapestry doesn't depend on any framework at all (just plain Javascript),
extensions based on Prototype will still work if the libraries are included
into the pages. It just means Tapestry can do without it.

It makes the barrier to entry for developers much lower if if the developer
can use whatever (s)he's used to. I know you can still use jQuery together
with Prototype (that's what I do), but since Prototype is already there, a
lot of developers will try and use that because they don't want to force any
more js-libraries onto their users than the ones already being included.

Learning another javascript framework or even having to rewrite existing
Javascript code to another web-framework is time-consuming and error-prone.

regards,

Onno