Outside of framework building (of course) my more mundane tasks:

Building DAO services around Hibernate, to reduce code clutter.

Building a deferred job execution service, to process operations in
the background.

Integrating with significant subsystems, like Quartz.

Creating tools to allow page content to be rendered and sent as email.

What I like about the IoC approach is that you naturally tend to
decompose things properly (or at least, it gives you the option). That
mail sending bit is in two pieces: one that's mostly about Tapestry:
rendering a Block, capturing the result, then deferring to a second
service to do the actual mailing. The second service is a wrapper
around javax.mail.Session and Transport, and encapsulates those two
ugly APIs. The job executor allows the app to continue running, with
the mail sending deferred to a pooled thread.

IoC means you can easily break your problems into small and
individually testable pieces, and isolate difficult external
dependencies ... and the container is responsible for assembling
everything at runtime.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Yeargan Yancey <yan...@unt.edu> wrote:
> I have a largely academic interest in Tapestry and have been following the
> list for several months. I have seen many discussions go by about the
> technical issues of implementing and using Tapestry IOC services. Recently,
> however, I began to develop a persistent and growing curiosity about the
> sorts of tasks that seasoned Tapestry developers decide to implement as IOC
> services; being especially curious about complex combinations of such
> services. I suspect some have come up with quite clever solutions and are
> just dying to share. Here's your chance. I'm asking. What is it that your IOC
> services do?

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210