A Tapestry IoC service is just a bean. If you read up on Spring IoC or Guice IoC they are all the same concepts and fulfill the same purposes. Each might have slightly different features mechanisms, but you get the idea. So if your question is truly academic, you should be reading up on generic IoC concepts, sprint and guice as well.

The main design pattern used is around constructing singletons ( mostly: general configuration, dao access, overriding tapestry logic, and business logic with caching ). But you can have the IoC container construct objects according to a scope, so it's not just a singleton pattern, but a new object per request, (business logic that has state specific to the current request only).