On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Alessandro Bottoni
<alexbott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Tapestry does not offer anything for my Authentication/Authorization
> needs, I will just look somewhere else, for example at Spring's site
> (ACEGI/Spring security). I will not reinvent the n-th wheel by myself.
> If Tapestry wants to be a "package of ready-to-use solutions" for the
> typical webapp developer, the solutions it provides have to be
> advertised, documented, demonstrated and made readibly usable by the new
> users, in particular the ones who have little or any experience with Java.

Hey Alessandro, I have to say I agree with pretty much everything
you've said. I notice the tone from the committers is a bit "fatherly"
- i.e. "just learn the framework and do it yourself, it's easy". Don't
worry about it, sometimes it's just difficult to see it from newbies'
perspective for those who are experienced with a particular
technology. I think your comparison to Drupal is spot on. Sure it's
uglier to customize Drupal if it doesn't have a module available for
it but it does heck of a lot of things out of the box, much more than
Tapestry or any little add-on module to it at the moment. Tapestry
architecture is great for delivering drop-in add-on modules, but what
you see is just the state of things as they are right now. Tapestry5
is still a new web framework and there are relatively few people using
it. I fully agree that security is critical - sure it's easy to
protect your pages "the right way" with a few annotations, but real
world projects need integration to existing authentication sources,
smart remember me -implementations, url protection, adaptive
permissions etc. Regarding Tynamo, in time we'll offer proper Apache
Shiro integration (currently there are a few good "starter" Shiro
integration libraries available) with most of these features but we
are not there yet. But in any case, being an Apache Shiro committer
myself I should be in a pretty good position to deliver it.

One of the main issue with Java web frameworks has always been that
while people generally acknowledge the advantages of Java, starting
costs are so much higher than hacking up something with a few lines of
PHP and its existing frameworks already deployed by ISPs that Java is
often considered only later when (and if ever!) complexity,
scalability and maintainability become more of a concern. However,
Java-based frameworks and tools have made steady progress in recent
years and lowered the starting costs to reduce the gap. Tapestry can
be and has been the forerunner in Java Web frameworks, now we just
need to show the world all that is possible - and especially *how* to
do it.

Kalle