Em Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:17:14 -0200, Ivano Luberti <lube...@archicoop.it> escreveu:

Ciao, Ivano! :)

Thiago, every time I see your solutions and the easyness with which you
find them I wonder how you have learned to use Tapestry.
Do you are involved in design and development of  Tapestry core  ? Are
you a committer that hase learned by using it?
Knowing that could really show the way to others , wouldn't it ?

I hope this message inspire some people. :)

I love software development, Java, Tapestry-IoC, Tapestry and Hibernate (but not only them). I'm very curious guy too. I learned a little bit of Tapestry 4 and was one of the first to use Tapestry 5, so I'm using T5 for almost all of its lifetime.

I have a very good memory of what I've seen before, being it from the sources (first or third part) or the mailing lists. I learn a lot from what other people post in the ML. Sometimes I even try to answer something I don't know so I can learn how to do that. :) I've read the whole Tapestry and Tapestry-IoC documentation at least once. Sometimes, I implement something just as a proof-of-concept to myself, so I can learn it and use it when some appropriate scenario arises. I also play with parameters and configuration just to see what happens. :)

Having sources available for reading (viva open source!), every time I wanted to do something that wasn't documented or already done in the mailing lists or other projects, I dived in the Tapestry sources. Very often I've found what I wanted quickly. *The first place to look is TapestryModule.* It's where almost everything in Tapestry is configured. Searching for words related to what you want in TapestryModule often lead to quick answers. From there, I figure out what service does what I need and then I use Eclipse's search for usages (to learn where it's used) and hierarchy (to learn how it's implemented). Tapestry is implemented in an homogenous way, so I can figure out quickly how something is implemented by recalling how some other thing is implemented. Gotta love design patterns, conventions and standards. :)

Learning Tapestry-IoC more deeply as an user also helps a lot to understand Tapestry-the-web-framework. Distributed configuration is a very often feature used by T5. It's almost the reason Tapestry-IoC was created at first. When you learn it, I'm sure you're going to use it a lot.

The documentation needs to be improved, no doubt about it. But take a little time to read the sources. They're very well written, most of it isn't hard to understand and you can learn a lot. ;) Remember your starting point is TapestryModule. ;)

I'm a committer since February. Unfortunately, my only contribution until now was the initial URL rewriting code that was later improved by Robert. I would love to contribute more, but, as an independent developer, I'm having very small free time. :( Otherwise, I would contribute much more, I swear. ;)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and instructor Owner, software architect and developer, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.