Yeah jBPM is both appserver and web agnostic. It uses hibernate for ORM so
if you're already using hibernate in your app you can use the same session
factory and take advantage of caching, transaction management etc. Unlike
the commercial workflow products (Oracle etc) its very lightweight so
integration is a breeze

Toby