Just don't use @Property - provide getXXX and setXXX methods.

> As far as I understand, I cannot make my base classes property protected,
> nor can I generate a public getter/Setter pair.

You can generate a public getter/setter pair - but you may not use
@Property then. If tapestry finds @Property, everything it does is
creating the getter/setter methods. But it fails to do so if they are
already present. Don't use @Property and it works like expected.

> Also abstract getter/setters won't work. (Although they used to work in T4.
> T4 could instantiate page or component classes, even if they werde
> abstract).

I am not totally sure, but I think I've used abstract getter methods
in the past and it worked.

                    Piero