On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:57:31 -0300, Banchi Liko <banchi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Hi!

Bumped into this post at
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=59510#332651 and was wondering the validity of the poster's comments. Is this not a bad press for Tapestry?

Here's the post, written by Jan de Jonge:

"Yet another area where Wicket shines in the Web framework arena. The last time I checked Tapestry was doing very, very badly in this area. Even performance was a very serious issue in the latest Tapestry 5 release. Many companies I know that have used Tapestry in their last projects are ruling it out completely for future projects. It's sad Tapestry is dying this way. It was once a very good framework that I loved."

Tapestry 5 never had performance problems. 5.1 even had a performance improvement. And Tapestry is not dying. Just check the amount of messages in the mailing lists, including the ones announcing public websites written on it and the messages by new people.

Jan de Jonge is a guy that trolls Tapestry in TheServerSide for *years*, even when the topic is not about it. The first Google hit for "jan de jonge tapestry" is a blog post by Eelco Hillenius, one of the Wicket committers, from 2007: "http://chillenious.wordpress.com/2007/02/06/is-there-a-wicket-tapestry-feud/"; (seems to be down now, here's the cached version: http://64.233.163.132/search?q=cache:XTghPGmyIywJ:chillenious.wordpress.com/2007/02/06/is-there-a-wicket-tapestry-feud/+%22Jan+de+Jonge%22+java&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=opera). The posts ssays "Take ‘Jan de Jonge’, the guy the started the flaming in several threads. (...)". In the comments, Jan de Jonge says "My colleagues and I are developing an in-house web framework (...) I don’t and have NEVER used any of these frameworks except some little playing with both." Yet, in the TheServerSide post above, he says "It was once a very good framework that I loved.".

The above message, for example, is about Wicket itself. No need for mentioning any other framework.

By the way, Tapestry has cluster support built-in: take a look at the "Clustering Issues" session in http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/guide/persist.html.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and instructor Owner, software architect and developer, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.