I might be not objective since I'm in love with jQuery, but imho, choosing
jQuery over others will avoid you to have a *big* technical debt.

You might be interested by this reading:
http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/03/26/jquery-triumphant-march-to-success/

For your tab component, what about this one: http://jqueryui.com/demos/tabs/
It's skinnable, customizable, and it should be easy to integrate it into
tapestry5 (and to contribute it to http://github.com/got5/tapestry5-jquery;))