On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:35:11 +0200, Jim O'Callaghan
<j...@peritussolutions.com> wrote:

I'm aware this is off topic, but since there are so many people on the list
with a broad skill set am hoping I can learn from their experiences /
heartbreak. I am evaluating various WS stacks for interfacing with a system
- currently I am using XFire as it requires very little configuration and
performs quite efficiently. XFire appears to qualify every xml element with a namespace, bloating the payload considerably, or, if using the patch from
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/XFIRE-687 appears to have unreliable /
inconsistent namespace qualifiers.  Can anyone recommend a good WS stack
they have positive experience of? My constraints are quite liberal - java 1.5 up, currently jetty as an AS, spring 3.0.2.RELEASE. Is CXF any good? I want to find something with good performance obviously, minimal config, and hopefully something that consistently defines package level namespaces at an
envelope level and reuses them.

Many thanks,

Jim.

I've been using axis2 for several years to generate clients for a few 3rd party web services (I presume you're talking about client code)

Can't really say I would *recommend* it because it was a pain to get it working with Maven and I haven't even bothered to go through that again with 1.4.x or 1.5.x so I'm still using 1.3. But, it's very simple once you set up the build - Maven will generate POJOs in target/generated-sources/... and when you invoke methods on those POJOs everything "just works". The axis2 1.3 POMs are a mess though so there are lots of excludes here to get rid of unnecessary dependencies:

<plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
        <artifactId>axis2-wsdl2code-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
                <execution>
                        <id>some-service</id>
                        <goals>
                                <goal>wsdl2code</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>

<wsdlFile>${basedir}/src/main/wsdl/some-service.wsdl</wsdlFile>
                                <packageName>com.example.service</packageName>

<namespaceToPackages>com.example.service=com.example.service</namespaceToPackages>
                                <syncMode>sync</syncMode>
                        </configuration>
                </execution>
                <execution>
                        <id>some-other-service</id>
                        <goals>
                                <goal>wsdl2code</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>

<wsdlFile>${basedir}/src/main/wsdl/some-other-service.wsdl</wsdlFile>
                                <packageName>com.example.other</packageName>

<namespaceToPackages>com.example.other=com.example.other</namespaceToPackages>
                                <syncMode>sync</syncMode>
                        </configuration>
                </execution>
        </executions>
</plugin>

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
        <artifactId>axis2-kernel</artifactId>
        <version>1.3</version>
        <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>avalon-framework</groupId>
                        <artifactId>avalon-framework</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>backport-util-concurrent</groupId>
                        <artifactId>backport-util-concurrent</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>javax.mail</groupId>
                        <artifactId>mail</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>javax.activation</groupId>
                        <artifactId>activation</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
                        <artifactId>servlet-api</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>commons-fileupload</groupId>
                        <artifactId>commons-fileupload</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>junit</groupId>
                        <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.woden</groupId>
                        <artifactId>woden</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <artifactId>geronimo-jms_1.1_spec</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>xml-apis</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.codehaus.woodstox</groupId>
                        <artifactId>wstx-asl</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>annogen</groupId>
                        <artifactId>annogen</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>xalan</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xalan</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>stax</groupId>
                        <artifactId>stax-api</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>jaxen</groupId>
                        <artifactId>jaxen</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
                        <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
                        <artifactId>httpcore-niossl</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
                        <artifactId>httpcore</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.httpcomponents</groupId>
                        <artifactId>httpcore-nio</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>xerces</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
                        <artifactId>axiom-dom</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
        </exclusions>
</dependency>
<dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
        <artifactId>axis2-adb</artifactId>
        <version>1.3</version>
        <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.apache.ws.commons.axiom</groupId>
                        <artifactId>axiom-dom</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>commons-io</groupId>
                        <artifactId>commons-io</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>xerces</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <groupId>org.codehaus.woodstox</groupId>
                        <artifactId>wstx-asl</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                        <artifactId>