I prefer Jetty to run my application.

I'm always amazed at how tortured people's setups are.

It's really simple:

Create a project (using Maven, or otherwise).

Use the RunJettyRun Eclipse plugin.

Make sure you are NOT compiling to src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes  (compile
to target/classes or something)

Make sure your libraries are NOT in src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib (they won't
be if you are using Maven/Gradle/etc.)

(The above two resolve potential class resolution problems where classes are
loaded by the wrong class loader).

Start RunJettyRun targetted at src/main/webapp

You're done!