You are not forced to develop with Maven, but it takes a brave soul to manage
30 to 40 megs of libraries manually :) lol.

Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Zimowski" <zimowsk...@gmail.com>
To: "Tapestry users" <users@tapestry.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, 5 November, 2010 04:35:38 GMT +02:00 Athens, Beirut, Bucharest,
Istanbul
Subject: Re: best stack ...

> Don't really like Maven but have found it's a necessary evil if you want to
> develop with Tapestry 5.

Well, while Maven is helpfull it's not exactly true :-) We have a
large Tapestry app (ported struts 1 gozilla), and zero Maven.
Remember, Maven is just a tool to automate things. You can setup your
project infrastructure and builds without it.

Here is our stack:

-- Web/App Layer --
Eclipse
Jetty (local dev as well as production) - we don't use RunJettyRun,
rather we use a standard Eclipse run task executing Main from Jetty's
start.jar.
Tapestry 5.2 - the beauty of Tap IOC is that we are now Spring free,
after all these years with Struts-Spring torture.
AspectJ for AOP
(minor libs)

-- Business Layer ---
OpenEJB
Hibernate
Ant - EJB deploys, Hibernate schema builds etc.
(minor libs)

What we have found that Tapestry-Hibernate integration is completely
unnecessary for us since our Hibernate layer is abstracted out behind
the EJBs. So is Tapestry-Spring - also not necessary.

Anotherwords, all we have is a pure Tapestry (with few component libs)
to run our huge Ecommerce app.

Adam