Another option is to use Flying Saucer [1] to render the html in pure
java. I use it with iText [2] to create pdf's from any xhtml page.
This is a nice combination as it basically allows you to template your
pdf's with tapestry pages. So from within a Tapestry page you retreive
any html with the use of an URLConnection (in my case another page in
my own app) and return it in the form of an pdf.

I'm sure there are ways to render to images in Flying Saucer as well.

Good luck,
Joost

[1] https://xhtmlrenderer.dev.java.net/
[2]