So I'm seeing where my issue is based on your code.

As indicated, I'd like to use this component as a replacement to a select
menu, but here lies the problem.

I have two tables, UserAccount and PurchaseRequest. There can only be one
UserAccount per PurchaseRequest.

I have a OneToMany from UserAccount to PurchaseRequest

ManyToOne from PurchaseRequest to UserAccount.

Within the template, I'm using PurchaseRequest as my object, so I'm unable
to user a collection, only a single UserAccount object can be set.  Looks as
if I'm asking the component to do something it wasn't designed to do.
Perhaps it would be a nice addition to the component if we could figure out
how to resolve this issue.