Just to add to this (which I am sure points to the fact I am doing something
really stupid) I want to give a bit of a background and a validation (or an
attempt at a validation).

My process embeds jetty and adds the tapestry filter through web.xml (but I am
not using a standard tomcat or jetty "runner").

I have a few of my own T5 pages that render fine though they are pretty basic
(components and pages).

just to take my code out of the equation I took recent project Barry Books
posted for twitter-bootstrap earlier this week.  I added to his little
project's web.xml:

   <context-param>
        <param-name>tapestry.production-mode</param-name>
        <param-value>false</param-value>
    </context-param>

Then I tried the demo and this particular path:

http://localhost:8080/tapestry-bootstrap/servicestatus

not much exciting happened.

Thanks for your help and sorry this is probably described in large bold text on
some main page under "read this first" :-}

Best