Thanks Peter, makes total sense.  I am so happy that css3 helped standardize
cross browser support :-}

So I probably would want to detect a non HTML5 browser such as earlier IE's
with something that would throw in to the css another technique such as using a
gradient filled image file (in this example)?  I don't think I would want to
throw in the technique of last resort because in the gradient image case it
would compete with the html5 technique right? For the conditional method there
is a technique proposed in:

http://tapestry.apache.org/css.html

Of course I am actually not literally talking about gradient fills I am talking
about the general new vs old vs cross browser css challenge.

This client side commenting conditional logic seems to be only for IE.  Would
that be correct? I am guessing from a browser laggard perspective the only
older browsers people would care about would be IE in general?

Sorry for all the novice questions, by day I normally do non ui data crunching
like engineering :-}

Best