I was able to get my java running and override a property on the BeanEditor
component

The commented out code is what prevents the event handler from being invoked...
I dont have the answer to why though

    // @OnEvent(EventConstants.ACTIVATE)
    // Object activate(Class clazz, String id)

    //@OnEvent(EventConstants.ACTIVATE)
    //public Object onActivate(Class clazz, String id)
    //{

        //if (clazz == null) return Utils.new404(messages);

        //this.bean = contextValueEncoder.toValue(clazz, id);
        //this.beanType =  clazz;

        //if (bean == null) return Utils.new404(messages);

        //return null;
    //}

    /*
    @Property(write = false)
    private TynamoClassDescriptor classDescriptor;
    */

    @Property
    private BeanModel beanModel;

    @Inject
    private BeanModelSource beanModelSource;

    public Object onActivate(String id)
    {
        if (beanType == null)
            return Utils.new404(messages);

        this.bean = contextValueEncoder.toValue(beanType, id);

        if (bean == null)
            return Utils.new404(messages);

        beanModel = beanModelSource.createEditModel(beanType, messages);

        return null;