I actually got the problem wrong, it's not the fact that the null return
prevented the handler from firing, but rather my condition to determine if
it was a page request rather than a component request was insufficient:

        protected boolean isPageRequest() {
                return !request.isXHR() && request.getMethod()=="GET";
        }

And it was ending up redirecting.

What is the preferred way to check in an onActivate method whether the
originating request is a page request or simply a component like an
actionLink making a request?