This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you.  Although I still notice
a strange issue.  In all cases except one the following works:

 componentEventLinkEncoder.decodePageRenderRequest(request) != null

Except on the request made by the autocomplete mixin
(http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/corelib/mixins/Autocomplete.html)
that I am using.  The path for the autocomplete request is:
/editcube.card:autocomplete but
componentEventLinkEncoder.decodePageRenderRequest(request) returns
PageRenderRequestParameters[CubeBlog].  CubeBlog is the name of my
START_PAGE_NAME as defined in AppModule.

As a result I've been using

componentEventLinkEncoder.decodeComponentEventRequest(request) == null

This works fine for everything, but I am curious if anyone could explain why
decodePageRenderRequest doesn't seem to behave as expected for the
autocomplete mixin request?