Having a better story for creating an API accessible to the client browser
would help.

I have previously done some work where I've used Backbone to handle more
complex UIs than I can reasonably accomplish in Tapestry (using Zones and
FormFragments etc.). In the future, I'll likely use Angular for that
purpose.

Tapestry's asset pipeline is pretty great for Angular; however it is not
wrapped as AMD modules, so it must be loaded as libraries. Further, Angular
has a specific initialization phase, after that it is not possible to add
additional Angular modules. You'd likely have many ng-app tags on the page,
which is valid (but somewhat wasteful).

I think it is more likely that a T5/AngularJS app would have just a couple
of Tapestry pages to "provision" the application (maybe even just one) and
would operate from that point on in single-page mode, performing just
REST-ful API calls to the application, possibly via tapestry-resteasy.

That's OK; that's the future direction of all web applications, and
supporting that should be the principle goal going forward, even if it
means that much of the T5 infrastructure (pages, components, server-side
state, etc.) becomes somewhat vestigial   The most important parts of
Tapestry in a couple of years time will be the asset pipeline and the IoC
container.

I have some ideas for having a very well integrated api approach, that
would be on-par with pages and components. That will probably have to wait
for 5.5.  Basically, page-like objects that represent API end points and
support injection, but lack the complexity of Tapestry pages.  We'd still
support live class reloading and maybe a bit of magic in terms of how
incoming requests are routed, parsed to JSON or Java objects, and then how
likely that tapestry-resteasy already does most of it.