On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:18:40 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's OK; that's the future direction of all web applications,

1 year in the futre? 5? 10?

I don't see that coming, at least not for most of webapps. Single page webapps are good for desktop-like stuff but awful for search engines, which are vital for public-facing stuff.

andsupporting that should be the principle goal going forward, even if it
means that much of the T5 infrastructure (pages, components, server-side
state, etc.) becomes somewhat vestigial

As long as they still work as they (pages, components, etc) work as they do now, I see no problem in that. That's the most mature part of Tapestry, having gone through some major internal revisions already (page pool, page pool not used anymore, performance improvements) already. AJAX is one of the less mature parts and everything that improves that is a good thing IMHO.

I have some ideas for having a very well integrated api approach, that
would be on-par with pages and components. That will probably have to wait for 5.5. Basically, page-like objects that represent API end points and
support injection, but lack the complexity of Tapestry pages.

What would be the improvements over a page without a template? I'm not familiar with this part of the Tapestry code.

For these page-like objects: what about an 'endpoints' subpackage, as we have now for pages, using the same routing rules? The less new logic we add and the most we reuse, the better. Or put them in the 'pages' package and we just use an annotation to tell that specific class is an endpoint and not a full-blown page.

We'd still support live class reloading and maybe a bit of magic in terms of how incoming requests are routed, parsed to JSON or Java objects, and then how responses are generated.

Live class reloading is a major selling point of Tapestry (maybe the biggest one) so it should be kept for pages, components, mixins and these new endpoint objects.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo