Thanks, I had actually solved by using Element.text() that creates a Text node,
which matches your suggestion. I don't have the problem anymore, and thanks for
the assistance, despite me not doing a good job in explaining myself.

Just for clarity, my concern was only that I'm now replacing the original
Element node with a new Text node, while I would have preferred to replace the
original Element node with another Element node if it was possible. But it's
definitely not a serious limitation so no problem.

What I get from Tapestry:

where both div-s are Element instances.

I wondered if it was possible to turn that into

where both div-s are still Element instances, by creating the new child div as
an Element instance with different content. But if the new child div is a Text
instead, that's no problem, I just wanted to understand.