You need to provide more code, but it sounds like your reloading the
loop before persisting your items per page, then on your second change
it picks up your persisted value from your first change. That would be
my guess. Why not put those values in the url so they become
bookmarkable, less memory consumption, and you won't lose your place
on page refresh? I'm not sure how formstate would be effecting
performance like that?

--
George Christman
CEO