Thank you for your comments thus far.
I have been unable to solve my problem as well. I even went so far as to start with a machine with no development tools on it, downloading just the elements I required, and then trying to redeploy. I am fairly certain that there are no extra servlet jars anywhere, and that servlet-api.jar from tomcat is in the path. Still I face the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext error. I am using java 1.5.0_06 and and a 5.5 server. Well, trying to anyway! =) I'll place the error information at the very bottom of this email to avoid pushing down the previous responses too far. Any more ideas would be appreciated!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Armand Rock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 12:44 PM
Subject: RE: Question concerning java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext

Hello David,
I included all jar & zip files on my computer, including j2ee.jar and I'm
still having the problem.
I have just noticed a weird behaviour though, if I try to reload the jsp
right after the jsp fails the first
time it seems to run without throwing the exception.  If I restart Tomcat
and try again the problem starts
again. I could get this to work in theory by forcing it to run through the
code once on startup
but I shouldn't have to do that and I honestly would prefer getting it to
work as it should.