Rusty,

From what I have read, you get better performance if you let tomcat serve the
static stuff as well as the jsps. Check the tomcat docs for a discussion of
this topic.

However, if you still want to put tomcat behind apache, take a look at this
article - tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssi-howto.html (the link is down
now - try it in a while) or google "tomcat ssi". The gist of the article is
that you need to download a jar file, add it to your classpath, and then
tomcat will serve ssi directives correctly.

Mark