Rob Gregory wrote:
I don't have the time to fully understand your question (time for bed) but
after scanning your issues this post may help:-

Topic regarding UTF-8 vs ISO encoding
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Tomcat/UTF-8

Sorry if I'm really off topic but the linked document is small and
interesting as to why it's needed...

Hope it helps.
Rob

Thanks for trying to help Rob, per my original post I've implemented all points in this post and then some. From the original post:

The current configuration:

1) Not using APR, sendfile should not be an issue
2) My locale is set: "export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8"
3) File encoding is set for the JDK: "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"
4) contextDefaultEncoding is set to "UTF-8" in the global web.xml
5) I've created a Filter to explicitly set the type as per: http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Tomcat/UTF-8

-- added per Mark's suggestion --

6) Added fileEncoding to init-param of DefaultServlet

-erik