> From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Multiple Tomcat-Instances problem
>
> tomcat is just a java program, therefore it runs in a VM. Each running
> VM has a classpath,

Actually, each VM has at least three classpaths, not counting any
separate ones implemented in the Java program being executed (Tomcat in
our case).  These are the bootstrap, endorsed, and system paths, each
with its own classloader.  The only item necessary in the VM system
classpath for Tomcat execution is the bootstrap.jar file from the bin
directory.  (The scripts distributed with 5.5.12 still add tools.jar to
the system classpath, although that's not needed anymore.)  AFAIK, all
other non-JRE classes used by Tomcat are indeed loaded by custom class
loaders that are part of Tomcat.

> I am probably totally wrong, but isn't the BASEDIR variable in
> setclasspath.sh defined from CATALINA_HOME? Therefore, wouldn't two
> instances with same CATALINA_HOME share the endorsed libs?

Yes, endorsed libraries are considered extensions of the JRE, not of the
Java program, and it is therefore appropriate to have just one copy of
them per installed JVM.  All other classes in the common directory tree
are considered to be extensions of Tomcat, and are thus usable by all
Tomcat instances referenced by a given CATALINA_HOME.

> However, it probably has nothing to do with the original question of
> this thread, so I better stop spamming :-)

Both of us should, I suspect, but somebody's got to keep the list server
from going to sleep...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.