Hi Tony

It's funny about your put words in our mouths... Is there written
somewhere in this thread that Bill Gates is Satan or something like
that ?

What was said, and I think it's true, is that Microsoft (or Sun or
IBM, if that matters) is a company trying to make money, whereas open
source projects are generally made by developpers for developpers.

At the end of the day, I think you could be rather grateful to the
open source community which has driven Microsoft to provide some free
versions of their tool, which was never the case (I think) before this
surge of open source fuzz.

Another aspect is how well Microsoft takes care of the developpers
will always depends on business plan.

Look back at the issue with VB, they have just dropped it because of a
business plan pushing for .Net. If it was an open source project you
would have the source code to rely on and, if a big enough community,
it could still be going on.

Furthermore, you're the one seeing a conflict between open source and
editors like Microsoft. Most of the people in this thread have been
eager to learn from .Net and how it could improve their own
work/language and the like. Microsoft itself, I think, did have a deep
look at the way J2EE/Java was working before starting their own .Net.

Once again, I doubt a language/platform or anything is life can be
simply "the best overall/in absolut". I would just say that .Net fits
better your needs, apparently because of what you think is a more
suitable dev. tool, better language and better documentation for you.
So be it.

And before saying you have found the holy grail, you may wait a little
to see if its holy effects last and, maybe, asking yourself if you
were using Java the right way. For example you could have asked
whether the same tools/doc are available and how, and if not why.

I agree, for sure, that it may be easier to spot how to use .Net. It's
a single vendor's offer, so... But once again, will this single source
of tools/platform/language always provide it the way you would like it
to be ? I guess the best is to hope the alternative will always be
good enough to have Microsoft worries about you, if not it might quite
unpleasant for the .Net users.

Whatever, just my 2 cents, as usual ;)

ZedroS