Martin Gainty wrote:
we just inherited some vb code that accomplishes a cryptography algorithm
just to get this to run under windoze took me 4 hours..the lack of VB doc was the blocking factor
or maybe its probably because Im not a VB guy and never will be
btw that same functionality can be accomplished with java libraries in under 1 hour

Doesn't sound like a fair comparison to me... give me someone who's not a "Java guy", like your not a VB guy, and ask them to do the same thing... it may well take the same amount of time. Your right in that the functionality is easier in Java, but would someone who isn't versed in Java know that, or be able to figure it out quite as fast? I doubt it.

why?
there are opensource sites located world-wide in other words
A little digging and some hard work on anyone's part will always get you an answer
I cannot say the same thing for VB

Are you talking VB or VB.Net? If your talking VB, you aren't looking in the right places. There is *plenty* of readily-available knowledge out there about VB.

VB.Net is a different story... it's newer, and the resources haven't had time to build up to the same level (true in general for .Net). Give it another year or two and see what's out there. I think it'll be comparable.

BTW: (VB).Net is an example of market forces pushing a company MS to develop a product (.NET) that meets marketplace need
I for one welcome MS into the OOA/OOD world

I agree. And, this is one of the rare times that MS got it closer to right than wrong the very first time. It's not perfect, I don't think anyone is claiming it is (no one worth listening to anyway), but 1.0 wasn't bad at all, and 2.0 improves things from everything I've heard (I'm only a casual .Net user myself).

Frank