I tried with NetScape and Opera to see what happens.

For NetScape the first time I tried it was ok up to the stage that I
switched to SSL.  At that step, I lost my session.  After trying several
times again I noticed NetScape was ok.

With Opera all works fine, like with IE, from the beginning.

So major problem is still FireFox and it must be something that it sends (or
not sends) back to Tomcat that causes session expiration.

Thanks for your assistance.

Michael