Thanks, Chuck.  I will take a closer look at RUNNING.txt.  However, i still
think there is something else causing our problems..  We installed two
copies of the tomcat code, one running at root, and the other running as a
regular user.  Now, even if the ports were conflicting, it would prevent one
instance from being launched, instead of killing another instance, would
it?  At one time when i was playing with it on a testing platform (also
linux), the launching of the 2nd instance of tomcat 5.5 even killed a
running tomcat 4.1.31! It was incredible :P

-- Jim