Switch places with them for a minute -- They are providing free support and
pretty good support at that.  Note that there are many, many basic questions
that could easily be answered by reading the documentation ("RTFM") or by
Googling ("STFW"), but instead posters demand immediate help as their
homework is due in 20 minutes, or their boss is sitting in the chair behind
them.  Now take a potshot at the most useful, widely used, and COMPLETELY
FREE application server, which you paid nothing for, have no support
contract for (again, you paid nothing), and occasionally someone is bound to
take it a little personally.  I have (casually) observed that the level of
'snippetyness' from the responder is inversely proportional to the quality
of the question.

On the subject of log4j.jar without log4j.properties, don't get mad at
Tomcat / Tomcat developers.  Get mad at the idiot developers who shipped a
war file without a) knowing how to perform logging and b) performing basic
testing.

I help out when I can.  If I'm not sure, but have a minute, *I* will often
STFW and/or RTFM to make sure.  If I can do it, then so can you (the royal
you) and you didn't have to post.  Ask intelligent questions, and you will
get intelligent answers.  Show an unwillingness to learn anything, and you
will get snubbed.

Tim