Info we need to help you:

1. Exact Tomcat version. I would be extremely surprised if this really
is the most recent release (5.5.17)

2. The content of your web.xml

3. Given that you are using Apache as well, the relevant Jk directives
from your httpd.conf file

Related to point 3, can you direct your browser to Tomcat directly,
bypassing Apache? If so, does this work?

Mark