With the tomcat locally installed all works fine; the issue occurs from a
linux box (rhel6.x in my situation) with tomcat 7.0.29 as the server
machine and a client. Both are in lan without filtering elements.
Since I'm (as now) unable to determine the root cause of the issue (the
worst thing is that the problem is only with some pdf, and it is also
difficult to reproduce), the only solution that worked for me was the
downgrade to the 7.0.26 release.
Regards
Michele MAsè