Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Accept-Ranges: bytes
ETag: W/"3447866-1343391729000"
Last-Modified: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:22:09 GMT
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:32:05 GMT

206KO:
GET /test.pdf HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Range: bytes=3446021-3447865, 475136-1792507
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
CLR 2.0.50727)
Host: installazioni-el6b.insiel.it:8080
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:32:20 GMT

The above appears (to me) to be two correct request/response pairs.
Even the 206, which is a normal response to the "Range" request as per here : http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html

We still don't know if/why the browser/client resets the connection, but it is not visible in the above exchange.
Maybe inspecting the response body to the second request would provide a clue.

It is also a bit of a mystery to me why the same browser would sometimes request the same resource in one go, and sometimes as byteranges. But I don't know exactly how this part is supposed to work.
Maybe it depends on which part of the PDF the user decides to display ?