Dale Ogilvie <dale_ogil...@trimble.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks, but I'm quite happy with my understanding of the situation.

<snip content="repeat of info already provided" />

>That says to me that app1 already has an instance of
>org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl which it is trying to cast to
>the tomcat version.  So your statement that "Tomcat prevents a class
>loaded in app2 from being visible in app1" seems to be false.

Does that cast succeed? No. Why? Because the class isn't visible to app1.

> Or am I reading this error message incorrectly?

You seem to be mixing up the object (can be passed from app2 to any app) with
the class (only visible to app2).

<snip />

As a aside, if someone with an @apache.org e-mail address (or a long term
contributor to this list such as Chuck, Andre or Pid) answers your question
then it is wise to assume that they know what they are talking about. If you
want to avoid annoying them (which reduces your chances of being helped in the
future) it is a good idea not to blatantly question the accuracy of their
answer or their knowledge of Tomcat. On the odd occasion they do get it wrong
there are tactful ways to point that out. For example, "I get that the class
from app2 is not visible to app1. Given that, the bit I don't get is that app1
appears to be working with an instance of the class that is only visible to
app2. What am I missing?" would have achieved the same ends as your e-mail
without any of the associated annoyance.

Mark