The manifest for the jar says "JSP 2.1 Jasper implementation from Glassfish",
and yeah it was bad practice for maven to include that in our app2 for us.

Regardless of where the jar is coming from, it still seems bad to me that
Tomcat will respond to my request of app1 by loading a class from
app2/WEB-INF/lib/jsp-2.1-6.1.14.jar.

I think Mark Thomas was saying that Tomcat was preventing loading of classes
outside of Tomcat and app1, the vm classloading output seems to suggest
otherwise.

Dale