Pid,

On 10/28/12 10:40 AM, Pid * wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2012, at 11:39, Ashkan Rahmani <ashkan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Now I have a windows 2003 server and a Tomcat 6.x on it. Our
>> application has many many parts and it's very big.
>>
>> Actually we are not happy with tomcat performance, (We are
>> working very hard on developing that software and improving
>> performance)  . We want  to improve application performance
>> (working on it now) and tomcat (by tuning and we are doing now
>> and using latest stable version) and finally OS, for this we want
>> to remove (damn) windows and come back to centos 6 and maybe some
>> hardware upgrade. My question from you is: is here anyone have
>> some experience with tomcat on windows and Linux which running
>> same things? which has better performance?
>
> Your app is usually responsible for 95% of the tunable overhead,
> the rest usually comes down to choosing the right number of threads
> per Tomcat instance and the appropriate JVM memory and GC
> configuration.

+1

> There are reasons people prefer Linux to Windows but I think you'd
> see a fairly  substantial debate about whether the OS choice has an
> effect on raw performance.

Personally, I prefer Linux based upon its friendliness to developers
and administrators: it's got the tools we need and it's easy to build
additional tools if necessary. Ever tried to script anything in
Microsoft Windows? Your options are a) .bat files, b) WSH (which I was
surprised to find out still actually exists), or c) install some
interpreter like Perl or Python and you may as well be running in a
*NIX environment. I suppose WSH lets you write scripts in Javascript
but ... not my cup of tea.

The only performance-related items of which I am aware that sometimes
give Microsoft Windows a disadvantage are:

1. Poor uptime (due to general instability and frequent required-reboot
   OS updates)
2. Limited IP stacks on non-"server" versions
3. Bizarre observations when using high-resolution (or even ms-res)
   clocks and timers... seems like you can't get more than about 0.1-sec
   resolution or so reliably -- or at least plausibly -- on a win32 box.