Hi Christopher,

-----Original-Nachricht-----
> Von: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> Datum: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 03:52:36 +0100
>
> Personally, I prefer Linux based upon its friendliness to developers
> and administrators: it's got the tools we need and it's easy to build
> additional tools if necessary.

Well, personally, I'm a fan of windows (i.e. I wouldn't voluntarily install any
other OS than Windows on my boxes and servers ;-) )

> The only performance-related items of which I am aware that sometimes
> give Microsoft Windows a disadvantage are:
>
> 1. Poor uptime (due to general instability and frequent
> required-reboot OS updates)

My personal impression is that Windows (at least the current versions of it -
Win7, Server2008R2) is one of the stablest OSes that I have seen. The only
times when my Win7/2008 crashed was when the hardware had a defect or a faulty
device driver was installed.
(I remember when I played with OpenSuse linux in a VM, where I had to restart
it every 5 minutes, as after working a bit with the GUI/KDE it got very
instable or didn't react any more - but maybe this applies only to the GUI I
used or to the OpenSuse distribution, I'm not sure).

> 2. Limited IP stacks on non-"server" versions
I agree, that is what I'm also not happy with. (Currently, the upgrade version
of Win8 Pro costs only 29,99 € in germany or $39,99 in the US - I guess the
server versions will not be that cheap :) )

> 3. Bizarre observations when using high-resolution (or even ms-res)
> clocks and timers... seems like you can't get more than about 0.1-sec
> resolution or so reliably -- or at least plausibly -- on a win32 box.

Hmm, I think this applies for outdated versions of Windows like WinXP, which
don't support HPET timers.
I remember when I wrote a java snippet at my WinXP machine at work like this:

    long startTime = System.nanoTime();
    //  do something which doesn't take much time...
    long duration = System.nanoTime() - startTime;

and then being surprised that "duration" contained a negative value...

However, Windows versions >= 6.0 should have HPET support to allow high
precision time measurement. It seems that on my Win7 machine, using
System.nanoTime() (or the StopWatch class in .Net), I can get a resolution of
about 100 nanoseconds.

> - -chris

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer